10 Quick Facts on Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a skin condition that currently affects a lot of people all over the world. Although it is a popular skin problem, which is known for its thick, silvery scales, many individuals have little idea on what the condition really is. Here are 10 quick facts on psoriasis you have to know.
- The scales of psoriasis usually appear elevated and red. It produces silvery, scaly patches on the skin.
- Psoriasis can occur in any part of the body. However, it commonly appears on the elbows, scalp, and knees.
- The skin condition can come in one minute and disappear anytime.
- It can occur to anyone, men and women, children and adults alike.
- Many people still do not know that psoriasis is not a contagious or infectious skin disorder. Although it can be inherited, it cannot be transmitted to other people.
- Sun exposure can affect psoriasis in different ways. For some it can help treat the condition, while for some it can greatly worsen the condition.
- There are a lot of factors that can trigger a flare-up. Such factors include stress, sunburn, alcohol, presence of throat infection, and the intake of certain medications.
- Some psoriasis patients develop a certain type of arthritis known as psoriatic arthritis.
- There are topical ointments and creams that can effectively treat psoriasis when applied correctly.
- Although there is no cure for psoriasis, its symptoms can be managed.
Psoriasis in Bend, OR
You don’t have to fret because you have this skin condition. Call Deschutes Dermatology Center today at (541) 330-0900 to request a consultation with Dr. Carter and learn more about psoriasis and how it can be managed. We look forward to meeting you!