What Triggers Eczema?
As of now, the exact cause of eczema is still unknown, although atopic dermatitis (a common eczema type) has manifestations that resemble an allergy. Eczema is a skin condition that is caused by a lot of factors – from genetics, to skin defects, to the external pollutants in the environment.
Knowing what triggers its symptoms could help us prevent any skin irritation from happening. Here are some of things that can worsen the condition.
- Soaps and cleansers
- Dust and wind
- Environmental irritants
- Smoke from cars and cigarettes
There is also a possibility for flare-ups to occur. This situation often involves the immune system and the following conditions:
- Bacterial infection
- Flu or colds
- Allergic reaction due to pollen, pet dander, or mold
Other factors that can contribute to flare-ups or make your skin become extra sensitive include the following:
- Sweating and sudden chilling thereafter
- Not applying skin lubricant after taking a bath
- Living in a dry climate all year round
- Constant exposure to water
- Low humidity in the air during winter
- Being too cold or too hot
If you have eczema, seek treatment immediately. Contact us today at (541) 330-0900 to schedule a consultation with our experts here at Deschutes Dermatology Center. We look forward to hearing from you!